We have a plethora of FAQs and articles that will walk you through detailed troubleshooting steps if you need help connecting to or using Gather. The following is a checklist of steps to take:
Audio/Video or Performance Issues
- Refresh your browser.
- Switch to Chrome if you are not using it already.
- Check browser settings and permissions to allow microphone and camera.
- Close any other applications that use your mic or camera.
- Check system settings and permissions (Macs) to allow screen recording, microphone, and camera.
- Turn on Quiet Mode (Ctrl+U or Cmd+U) to limit your a/v connections.
- Disable VPN/firewall or ask your IT to whitelist Gather.
- Disable any unnecessary browser extensions.
- Disconnect from external monitors.
- Test User Settings (Ctrl+P or Cmd+P):
- Turn on Auto Idle Mute.
- Turn off SmartZoom.
- Turn off Smooth Movement.
- Turn off HD Video Quality.
- Turn on Original Audio.
Black or White Screen Issues
- Respawn into the Space.
- Hard refresh your browser (hold Shift key and press refresh button on browser).
- Check the Mapmaker to make sure the background has not been deleted or resized.
- Check if you are banned.
- Clear your browser cache.
- If you are embedding objects:
- White screen = the website does not allow embedding
- Black screen = the URL needs to be https
Still having issues? Report a bug by clicking on the Gather menu and selecting Report an Issue. (Read more on reporting issues.) If all else fails, there's always the ol' turn-it-off-and-back-on-again (restart your computer).