In general, a tile is one square of the grid on which you build your maps for your Gather Space. When you are inside of a Space, a single press of your arrow keys (or WASD letter keys) moves your character one tile in the direction of the key you pressed.
All tile squares in Gather are 32x32 pixels in size.
In the Mapmaker, we have special tile types that are used to create specific effects. Each type of tile provides a different function for your Gather Space.
- Impassable: Prevent people from walking through the tile, which is handy for walls and furniture. Impassable effects are indicated by red semi-transparency.
- Spawn: Select where people will appear when joining the Space. Spawn effects are indicated by green semi-transparency.
- Portal: Create an entrance or exit to another Room, Space, or tile on the Map. Portal effects are indicated by blue semi-transparency.
- Private Area: Restrict audio and video connections to other users in the same area. Private area effects are indicated by pink semi-transparency.
- Spotlight: Allow a person to broadcast their audio, video, and screen to everyone in the Room, up to 100 people. Spotlight effects are indicated by orange semi-transparency.
Add Tile Effects
You can find and place specific tile types by opening the Mapmaker. Select the Tile Effects tab in the Top Nav Menu. The Tile Effects panel displays on the right of the screen. Select the tile type you wish to add. Click the Stamp tool to place the selected tile type on the map.
Remove Tile Effects
Need to remove or relocate tiles? Click Tile Effects in the Top Nav Menu of the Mapmaker. Select the tile type from the Tile Effects panel. In the Left Nav Menu, click Erase. Click on any tiles you would like to remove.
Note: You cannot drag existing tiles to a new location, so if you need to move one, delete it, then add it in the correct spot.
Tips on Tiles
- You can only add or delete the tile type you have selected in the Tile Effects panel. This helps you edit the different layers of tiles you have placed rather than accidentally deleting an Impassable Tile when you only wanted to delete the Private Area Tile in the same location.
- Tile IDs are used for Private Area and Spawn tiles. A unique Area ID is necessary to ensure only tiles with the same ID share attributes. For example, in the screenshots above, each private area has a number. The seating area by the whiteboard and bulletin board has an ID of 1, and the seating area with the bookshelves has an ID of 2. If both areas had an ID of 1, participants could see and talk to each other from either seating area.
- For more info, see our Map Maker Types of Tiles YouTube tutorial. Please note that the mapmaker interface in the tutorial is outdated, but the basic functionality remains the same.