Capture the most squares for your team in this colorful competition. Look out for treasure chests—they may hold power-ups or debuffs!
- Setup Difficulty: ⭐⭐☆☆☆ (2 out of 5)
- The Hip to be Square template is a part of the Remote Work experiences and is available through the Rec Room object in Remote Work Spaces.
- Participation Difficulty: ⭐⭐☆☆☆ (2 out of 5)
- Players: Free for up to 25 (more than 25 people will require a reservation)
- Emcee: Pick one person to facilitate (must be an Admin or Mod)
- Average Time: 15-30 minutes
- Media: None needed
Select a person to facilitate the game. (They must have the Admin or Mod user role.) From the toolbar of the game Space, select the More button, then select the Play button. The Game Settings pane opens.
- Randomize teams: Automatically assign everyone to a team. The characters will be sorted into different colored booths.
- Timer: Change the time limit of the round, if desired. By default, Round 1 is 45 seconds, Round 2 is 30 seconds, and Round 3 is 15 seconds
- Start / Next Round: When you're ready to begin, select Start. After Rounds 1 and 2, select Next Round.
- Reset Round: Restart the round.
Step into a colored booth on the left of the arena to join a team. Your character's hat changes to match the color of your team.
When the facilitator starts Round 1, everyone spawns onto the center square of the Map (everyone is stacked onto this square). After the countdown, use the WASD or arrow keys to move around the arena, claiming as many squares in your team's color as possible. A leaderboard shows the running score as you play, and a timer displays the remaining time in the round.
Tip: Take your chances walking over a treasure chest—you may get a boost, or you may get debuffs!
After each round, the team with the least squares is eliminated, and their characters automatically return to their team's booth.
- Don't want to compete? Head to the couches on the right side of the screen to spectate.
- Use Photo mode (camera button) to capture screenshots of the game!