This article offers an overview of what objects are, who can add them, how and where to use the Object Picker, and other helpful details. Click the links below to jump to the topic you're interested in:
- What is an object?
- Who can add objects to a Space?
- How do you get to the Object Picker?
- How do you use the Object Picker?
- How do you find seasonal objects?
- How do you make objects interactive?
- Can you add your own objects?
- How many objects can you add to a Space?
Tip: Check out the Space Design > Objects category for more in-depth articles about popular objects.
You can also watch the following YouTube tutorial for a quick overview of objects and a walkthrough of the Object Picker:
Objects are the images you can place in your Space, on top of your Space's background image. They can be uploaded as custom object images, or selected from the large variety of pre-generated objects inside of our Object Picker. Objects can be almost any size, but are often scaled to match your avatar's size and can be moved, edited, and deleted without affecting the main background image. There are two primary categories of objects:
- Decorative objects: Images that are purely aesthetic with no interaction (e.g., furniture, plants, food)
- Interactive objects: Images that provide access to embedded media or some form of interactive functionality when you press "x" (e.g., TVs, whiteboards).
- If you are the Admin of a Space, you automatically have access to the Object Picker via the Build tool in the toolbuibar of your Space and via the Mapmaker.
- Admins can also add users as Builders to give them access to the in-Space Build tool and the Mapmaker.
- If you want users to be able to place objects but not use the Mapmaker, turn on Global Build in Space Settings > Space Customization. Global Build allows anyone to add and remove objects via the in-Space Build and Erase tool.
You can get to the Object Picker in your Space or in the Mapmaker. In your Space, select Build (hammer icon) in the toolbar. You can quickly search for an object or place a recent or suggested object, or you can select Open object picker.
From the Mapmaker, select Objects in the Top Nav Menu. In the right panel in the Objects tab, select More Objects.
All categories are listed in the Left Nav Menu of the Object Picker. Seasonal categories change with—wait for it—the season! Use the search bar at the top if you're looking for a specific object.
In the right pane when an object is selected, the Object Details section shows the object, as well as any additional colors that are available for that object. Select the color to preview the object in that color. Use the rotational arrows to turn the object clockwise (right arrow or keyboard shortcut R) or counterclockwise (left arrow or keyboard shortcut Shift+R).
Creating a special Space for the holidays? Want fireworks, a Christmas tree, or a Baba Yaga house? We release special holiday objects almost every month! In the Object Picker, in the Left Nav Menu that shows the categories, look for the name of a recent holiday.
Tip: Once our objects have been released and the holiday is past, the objects typically become available in relevant categories. Just use the Search bar in the Object Picker to find what you're looking for!
By default, most objects do not have interactions added, with the except of Games, Sound, and a few special objects like the whiteboard. When you select an object, you can select from the available interactions:
- Embedded Website: Link to any embeddable website directly inside a Gather iframe.
- Embedded Image: Upload image (.png, .jpeg, .gif) to display inside a Gather iframe.
- Embedded Video: Link to an embeddable video from YouTube, Twitch, or Vimeo. Works for playlists and live streams as well.
- External Call: Link to an external call (Zoom, Webex, Teams, etc.). Call will open in new window and auto-mute in Gather.
- Note Object: Display lines of text or provide links for users to open in a new window.
Tip: Each interaction type has its own article! Read more in the Interactive Objects category.
Yes, you can! On the bottom left of the Left Nav Menu of the Object Picker, there are two special options:
- Insert Text: Add plain black text to label your space. You can change the size of the text and set the x,y offset. At this time, you cannot change the font or color.
- Upload New: Upload any sort of custom object! Keep in mind a tile in the Map is 32x32 pixels, so your object should be scaled to that size.
There is not a specific number of objects you can add to your Space. Instead, the entire Map has a size limit. If you see an "An error has occurred" error while you're working in the Mapmaker, you've likely hit the size limit. We're working on improving this experience.
Tip: Read more about troubleshooting An error has occurred.