You can easily move through Gather on a keyboard using the arrow keys or the WASD keys. You can also navigate using your mouse by double clicking on a spot on the Map to walk to it.
Note: On mobile, you can double tap to move to a spot on the Map, or you can hold and drag to move throughout the Space.
To find someone on the Map, you can view the Participants list, select a person's name, then choose Locate on Map or Follow. Locate on Map will display a dynamic line that will lead you to wherever the person is. Follow will automatically move you in the Space to the person and will attach you to them so they can lead you through the Space.
You can also right click (or two-finger click) on anyone in the Space to open a context menu for that person. This menu lets you move to them, follow them, request to lead them, send them a message, or start a bubble. Messages will appear as private messages in the chat panel.
If you walk up to an object and see it glow yellow, the object is interactive. A message displays next to the interactive object that reads "Press x to interact." (It may display more specific text, depending on the type of object and whether the object has a custom prompt message.) Just press the "x" key to engage with the object.
Note: The "toast" or prompt message for an interactive object displays for approximately 10 seconds.
You can close the interactive object by pressing the "x" key again or clicking the "x" at the top right of the window or iframe.
Leave the Gather Tab
By default, Auto Idle Muting is turned on in your User Settings. This means that when you click on a program or browser tab outside of Gather, your audio will automatically mute, and your video will automatically turn off. They will turn on again when you return to the Gather tab.
If you'd like to leave your audio and video on while you're in other tabs or programs, go to Settings (cog icon in the Left Nav Menu or keyboard shortcut Ctrl/⌘+P), and in the Audio & Video section, toggle off Auto Idle Mute.
Tip: If you want to hear any time someone walks up to you in your Gather Space, turn Auto Idle Muting off.
Leave the Space
When you're done using Gather, all you need to do is shut your browser tab. If you have created an account and signed in, you can sign out by clicking the Gather menu, then selecting Sign Out.
- (g) - Enter ghost mode and walk through other participants.
- (x) - Interact with an object.
- (z) - Make your avatar dance.
- (f) - Shoot confetti in the air. (Note: This mode is in testing and is only available to a limited number of users.)
- (Esc) - Close interaction (e.g., close minimap, close object interaction)
- (Ctrl/⌘ + P) - Open Settings.
- (Ctrl/⌘ + Shift + A) - Turn personal mic on/off.
- (Ctrl/⌘ + Shift + V) - Turn personal video on/off.
- (Ctrl/⌘ + U) - Turn on/off quiet mode (events Spaces) or do not disturb mode (remote work Spaces).
- (Ctrl/⌘ + Shift + D) - Turn on/off debug mode.
- (Windows key/Control + N) - Turn on network diagnostics.
- Alt/Option + mouse drag - Look around the Space.
While you are in a Space, you can press the keys 1-6 to emote! (You can also customize Emotes 1-5.)
- (1) - Wave
- (2) - Heart
- (3) - Party popper
- (4) - Thumbs up
- (5) - Question mark
- (6) - Raised hand
- (0) - Clear emote
Tip: Want to set your own custom emotes for 1-5? Check out our article on Emotes!