In this article, you will find the necessary resources to help you host your first event. We've split the process into four steps: signing in, creating your Space, making a reservation, and inviting your guests. Want to get hyped? Check out our awesome events video!
Step 1: Sign In to Gather
If you haven't created your Gather account yet, do so now! From your Gather homepage (https://gather.town/app), select Sign In in the Top Nav Menu. You will be directed to https://gather.town/signin. Sign in with your Google credentials or enter your email address and select Sign in with email.
Tip: While you can get started with Gather without creating an account, we recommend that you sign up to guarantee your Space is saved.
For more info about signing in or out of Gather, or checking which account you're logged in with, see our Log In & Out of Gather article.
Step 2: Create Your Space
The second step is to create your Space for the event. There are a couple of ways to get started creating a Space, so this is just a high level description of some things to think about. The good news is—there is no cost to creating or editing a Space, and there's no limit to the number of Spaces you can create!
Pick a template that best meets your needs or build your own from scratch! Give your Space a name (remember, you cannot rename it later). Your Space name is part of the unique URL for your Space (avoid special characters and spaces to make the best URL). Select your reason for building the Space, then select Create Space.
For more info on how to customize your Space, be sure to check out:
- Build Tool Overview - Find out how to quickly and easily decorate your Space.
- Mapmaker Overview - Learn our in-house map editing tool.
- Custom Map Overview - Get a review of how to create a completely custom Space in Gather.
- Map Design Best Practices - Familiarize yourself with Gather-specific design considerations.
- Mapmaker YouTube Playlist - Watch video tutorials of how to customize your Space.
Step 3: Make a Reservation
Gather is free for up to 25 people in the same Space at the same time! If you have more than 25 guests, or would like to host your Space on a Premium server for greater reliability and access to our Premium features, such as more extensive moderation controls, you can make a reservation for your Space.
Reservations and upgrades are made through your Space dashboard, which is tied specifically to each individual Space (not your account).
Tip: There are a few ways to get to your Space dashboard. From inside your Space, select the Home icon in the Left Nav Menu, then select Upgrade Space.
For more information regarding pricing and making a reservation, check out the following links!
- Our Pricing Page - Review the available plans, see the difference between free and Premium Spaces, and check out the FAQs.
- Create a Reservation - Learn how to create a reservation for your event.
- Reservation YouTube tutorial - Watch how to make a reservation on your dashboard.
Step 4: Party!
Now you're ready to host your first Gather party! The quickest way to invite guests is by copying your Space's URL and sending that link to your guests. For other invite options, take a look at:
- Invite Your Guests - Choose an option for inviting people to to your Gather Event
- Space Access Permissions - Learn more about setting a Space password, using a guest lists, or restricting access by email domain.
- Review our Troubleshooting Checklist if your guests have any questions or difficulties accessing the Space.
- Download and share this Guest Guide to Gather