Want to use a third-party platform like Zoom, Google Meet, Teams, or WebX to host a call? You can do that with our external call integration object!
Add the External Call Object
To add an external call object, open the Object Picker from Mapmaker or from the Build pane in your Space. In the Object Picker, search for "call." Under Object Interactions, select External call.
Paste the URL of the call into the Call (URL) field. Set the activation distance (default is 10) and any other advanced options.
Place the object in your Space and select Save in the Top Nav Menu of the Mapmaker. (No need to save if using the Object Picker in your Space.) meet.google.com/hashed-url
When anyone walks up to the object, they will be prompted to interact with the default message (Press x to interact) or your custom prompt message. When they press "x" on the keyboard, the embedded call link displays within Gather. They select the link to open the call in another tab. Gather automatically turns off audio and video when visiting an external call link.
When the call is finished, return to the Gather tab and select Re-enter to return to the Room with the call object.
Here's a short video placing an external call object.
Tips and Tricks
- Set a large activation distance for the object so that anyone who enters the area for the call can interact with it. Otherwise, you will have too many people crowded in one small area.
- You can place multiple external call objects with the same call URL in the Room or across the Space so more people can interact easily with the object.
- If you choose to rotate call links throughout the day, you will need to either:
- Designate someone with the Builder role to use the Mapmaker or Build tool to erase the object with the old call link and place a new object (with a new link), or
- Create different objects (e.g., signs with the call time or speaker on the call) for people to get the next link.
- If you expect less than 100-150 participants, use Gather's spotlight tiles for the call.