Want to host an event in Gather? Awesome! We've designed an event checklist to help you plan and host the perfect event. Just head to https://gather.town/get-started and choose Organize an event, or from your homepage (https://gather.town/app), select Create Event.
The checklist is split into three main steps. Click on section headings below to view full details.
- Basic Info: Enter your event details, choose your Space, and create an event landing page.
- Customization: Customize your Space and manage admin tasks from your Space dashboard.
- Publish: Make a reservation and share your landing page!
First, we'll need to set up the basics for your event: enter your event details, choose your Space, and create an event landing page.
Enter Event Details
First, choose your event details. (Don't worry—you can always change these details later!) Pick your event date and time. Next, estimate the number of attendees. Finally, choose your event type and category.
Create your Space
The next step is to choose your Space for the event. You can pick from a variety of templates, link to an existing Space, or work with a Partner to create your dream Space!
If you decide to select a template, you can explore the Space before picking! Just use the arrow keys to move around.
After you've picked the perfect template, click Select Space. Give your Space a name (remember, you cannot rename it later). Your Space name is part of the unique URL for your Space (avoid special characters and spaces to make the best URL). If you want to prevent people from accessing your Space, you can toggle on Password protect and add a password. You can later manage your password from Space Settings or your Space dashboard. When you're ready, select Create Space.
Create an Event Landing Page
Next, you can create a landing page for your event. This is the page you can share with your guests so they can easily see event details and join your event.
- Add a cover image: Upload an image to advertise your event. We recommend taking a screenshot of your Space! You can always change this cover image.
- Add an event host and description: Let people know who's hosting the event and what to expect.
- Event access: Decide whether you want to provide buffer time for guests to enter or exit your event. Your buffer time determines when guests can click Join Event from the landing page.
Customize Your Space
You can start to customize your Space from the events checklist by selecting Open Mapmaker. Gather's Mapmaker tool opens, allowing you to customize your Space. When you're done, just select Back to checklist.
You can always access the Mapmaker from your Space to make additional changes. Check out these additional resources on Space customization:
- Build Tool Overview - Find out how to quickly and easily decorate your Space.
- Mapmaker Overview - Learn how to use our in-house map editing tool.
- Custom Map Overview - Get an overview of how to create a completely custom Space in Gather.
- Map Design Best Practices - Familiarize yourself with Gather-specific design considerations.
- Mapmaker YouTube Playlist - Watch video tutorials of how to customize your Space.
Manage your Space
Select Go to dashboard to view the admin settings and features for your Space. We recommend making a reservation, giving your team access to the Space, choosing your Space access settings, and adding a pinned message for your guests.
Make a Reservation
If your event will have more than 25 guests, you'll need to make a reservation. Select Reservations on your Space dashboard. You can choose between a 2-hr or Per Day plan for a one-time event, or pick the Monthly Subscription, which auto-renews, for an ongoing Space.
Invite Your Team
If you want other people to help you with your Space, select User Roles on your Space dashboard. Enter the email address of the person you wish to invite, then select their user role: Admin, Builder, or Mod.
Tip: Read more about User Roles and their privileges.
Control Space Access
If you want to control who can access to your event, open the Space Access section of your Space dashboard.
Post on Information Board
If you'd like to post a pinned message, which will display at the top of Chat in your Space, select Information Board from your Space dashboard. Select New post to add a message to your guests.
Tip: Read more about the Information Board, which lets you add pinned messages and make live announcements in your Space.
The final step of the event checklist is publishing it. If you haven't made a reservation already, you can do so now.
When you select Publish, you can preview your event details, your Space, and your landing page.
If you're satisfied, select Publish event. Once you publish your event, your landing page is live. Use the landing page URL to invite your guests. Your guests can add your event to their calendar, share it with their friends, and save it to their Gather events. Guests will not be able to select the Join Event button until your event start time (or your designated buffer time).
Tip: Read all the ways you can invite guests to your event!