We have a plethora of FAQs and articles that will walk you through detailed troubleshooting steps if you need help connecting to or using Gather. The following is a checklist of steps to try:
- Refresh your browser.
- Switch to Chrome if you are not using it already.
- Close any other applications or browser tabs.
- Disable any unnecessary browser extensions (or use Incognito/Private mode in your browser).
- Disable VPN/firewall or ask your IT to whitelist Gather.
- Turn on Do Not Disturb Mode (Ctrl/⌘+U) to limit your a/v connections.
- Test User Settings (Ctrl/⌘+P):
- Reduce Limit Frame Rate to fewer fps. (Graphics)
- Turn on SmartZoom or use a large zoom for Manual Canvas Zoom. (Appearance)
- Turn on Reduce Motion. (Appearance)
- Turn on Auto Idle Mute. (Audio / Video)
- Turn off HD Video Quality. (Audio / Video)
- Turn off Hardware Acceleration (Graphics)
- Check browser settings and permissions to allow microphone and camera.
- Close any other applications that use your mic or camera.
- Check system settings and permissions (Macs) to allow screen recording, microphone, and camera.
- Disconnect from external monitors.
- Turn on Original Audio (Settings > User > Audio & Video) to turn off Gather’s audio processing, which includes echo reduction, automatic gain control, and noise filtering.
- Review A/V Troubleshooting FAQs
Black or White Screen Issues
- Respawn into the Space.
- Hard refresh your browser (hold Shift key and press refresh button on browser).
- Check the Mapmaker to make sure the background has not been deleted or resized. (If the background is white in Mapmaker, your original background has likely been deleted.)
- Check if you are banned.
- Clear your browser cache.
- If you are embedding objects:
- White screen = the website does not allow embedding
- Black screen = the URL needs to be https
- See All I see is a black screen—what do I do? for screenshots of black screen issues.