Gather's plans are designed to give you flexibility in how you're billed for your virtual space. This article will explain how pricing works and offer recommendations for common use cases.
There are three ways to use Gather:
- A Free Plan:
Best for small groups with fewer than 10 people in the space at the same time.
- A Monthly or Annual Subscription:
Best for ongoing use of a Gather space, such as a virtual office or classroom. These subscriptions renew automatically monthly or annually.
- A One-Time Reservation:
Best for a single event with a start and end date, such as a virtual conference or community meetup. You choose your reservation start and end date.
When you purchase a subscription or reservation, the price is based on your Space Capacity: the maximum number of concurrent users that can be in your space at the same time.
All user roles in the space count toward your Space Capacity: Admins, Members, and Guests. For example, if your Space Capacity is 40, you could have 30 Members and 10 Guests (or 30 Guests and 10 Members, or any other combination) in the space at the same time.
You can technically have more Members of your space than your Space Capacity allows. You are limited only by how many of them can be in your space at one time. For example, if you have 50 people on a global team and only a maximum of 40 are online at a time, you could set a Space Capacity of 40.
If you reach the limit of your Space Capacity:
We provide a small buffer to accommodate a few extra attendees beyond your reservation or subscription capacity. If you exceed the buffer capacity, new guests or members will not be able to join the space. The space admin will be notified and given an opportunity to increase the Space Capacity.
A few things to note:
- You can edit the capacity of a one-time event reservation until about 15 minutes before the event starts. If you are unsure how many users will be in your space at one time, you can aim on the low side and then increase it if you need to.
- You can increase space capacity during an event, but you cannot decrease your capacity once the event has started.
- If you increase the capacity of a monthly subscription, the changes go into effect right away and will renew the next month at the updated capacity.
- For temporary capacity increases with a monthly subscription, it is best to create a temporary reservation. (See the next section!)
Combining Subscriptions & Reservations
If you have a monthly or annual subscription, you can add a one-time reservation on top of it to temporarily increase your Space Capacity for the duration of the reservation.
This is useful for teams working in a virtual office on Gather who want to hold temporary events with more users than their subscription Space Capacity normally allows. Examples of this include:
- All-Company Socials
- Virtual Retreats
- Large Client Meetings
- Interview Days or Job Fairs
What plan type is best for me?
- If you'll have fewer than 10 people in the space at the same time and only need basic features, use our free plan.
- If you plan to have more than 10 people in the space at the same time, you'll need to purchase a subscription or reservation.
- If you have an end date in mind for your event (a conference, a meetup, etc.) we recommend a one-time reservation.
- If you do not have an end date in mind (a virtual office, classroom, etc.) we recommend a monthly subscription.