With the Gather Meetings Chrome Extension, you can automatically add a Gather meeting link to new calendar events. This makes it easy for all participants to join in a click, whether they're already working in your Gather Office or clicking through from their calendar.
This article will teach you how to connect your Google Calendar, how to install the Chrome Extension, and how to schedule meetings in Gather.
To use the Gather Meetings Chrome Extension, you must use Google Calendar on Google Chrome and connect to a Remote Office Space on Gather. It will not work for other types of spaces, like Conference Spaces.
Connect Google Calendar
Click on the Calendar icon in the bottom navigation bar. Sign in with the Google account your work calendar is attached to and grant permissions.
Choose the calendars you want to sync to Gather. You'll automatically see your events appear in the Calendar Panel.
Read this guide for more information about calendar settings. For now, we'll move on to the next step to add the Chrome Extension.
Add the Gather Meetings Chrome Extension
Go to the Gather Meetings Chrome Extension in the Chrome Web Store. Click Add to Chrome.
After installation completes, a new tab will open where you can choose the Remote Office Space you want to connect to.
At this time, you can only connect to one Remote Office at a time. If you need to change the space, you can click on the Gather Calendar Extension icon in the Chrome Extension bar. Choose Settings and then Change Space.
Schedule & Join Meetings
When you create a calendar event, you'll now see an option to Make it a Gather Meeting.
Clicking this button will open the Gather Meetings side panel where you can choose where to meet.
The meeting location options include:
- Any available Private Area.
- At the time of the meeting, we'll automatically find an available Private Area with enough capacity for all meeting participants.
- Your desk.
- You must have a desk claimed in the space for this option to be available.
- A specific location.
- You can choose any Private Area or Spawn Location in your office.
If you choose to schedule a meeting at a specific location, it does not actually reserve the location. Just like a real office, if a different meeting in the same spot runs long or someone gets to the room first, you may need to ask them to leave or find a different meeting spot.
Once you set the meeting location, all it takes is a quick click from the calendar event (either in Google Chrome or within your Gather space) to join the meeting.
- At the top of your Chrome window, click on the icon for the Gather Meetings Extension. Choose Settings and then Change Space.
At this time, you can only connect to a single Remote Office Space at a time.
- If you're in the meeting location before your guest, the meeting will start automatically for them, allowing them to seamlessly enter the space.
If you're not in the meeting location, the guest will see a message on the screen stating "No one is here yet." When an internal member of your space joins the meeting location, the guest will them be prompted to join.
Click here to learn more about controlling access to your space and the guest experience.
- If you want the ability to book a meeting in a specific part of your office, it needs to be a Private Area with a Name and Max Occupancy set.
To create a new Private Area or adjust these properties, open the Mapmaker. Select Tile Effects in the top navigation. Then on the right side of the screen, click Private Area.
- If you're creating a new private area, place the Private Tiles onto your map.
- If you're editing an existing private area to make it bookable, search for the name.
Once the Private Area is selected, you can edit its properties to add a name and max occupancy.
Follow along with this video for step-by-step guidance.