Make your Space easier to navigate by adding wayfinder symbols, interactive objects (e.g., signs or bulletin boards), and instructions, especially in welcome or lobby areas where guests first arrive in your Space. We've got arrows, signs, banners, and instructional text available for you, as well as the option to add your own custom text!
Add Wayfinding Objects
You can add wayfinding objects from the Object Picker in your Space or in the Mapmaker. In the Object Picker, select the Wayfinding category in the Left Nav Menu.
The following is a list of some standard wayfinding objects and suggested ways to use them.
- Interaction Instructions: Chalk or simple text that reads: "Press "x" to interact with objects"
- Movement Instructions: Chalk or simple text that reads: "Use arrow keys to move"
- Private Space Instructions: Chalk or simple text that reads: "These are private spaces"
- Video Share Instructions: Chalk or simple text that reads: "Walk up to someone to share video"
Note: The font of the instructional "chalk" text is Amatic SC, which is a free font available online.
- Arrows: Use a chalk or simple arrows that face up, down, left, or right, or diagonally to indicate where to move or where specific areas are (e.g, Keynote or Booth Hall).
- Bulletins and Kiosks: Add notes, videos, or images to upright stands. Guests just walk up and and press "x" to view the content. These are great for posting schedules and providing supplemental instructions and tutorials.
- Footsteps: Use to indicate where someone should walk or a path they should follow.
- Sign Backs: Use to create a backdrop for custom text.
- Indicators: Add the External Call or Spotlight indicator to show people where to connect to external calls or where to stand to broadcast to the room. Other indicators can be used in a legend to indicate information, like "blue areas are for meeting new friends" and "pink areas are for getting help from staff."
Add Custom Text Labels
Help people navigate your space by adding contextual text labels throughout it.
To do this, open the Object Picker from the Mapmaker. Search for the Text Tool, and place the Placeholder Text on the map.
Then you can select the text to customize what it says, the font, the size, and the color.
- Place objects in the lobby. Put wayfinding objects near your spawn areas to assist guests as soon as they enter the Space. Make sure the spawn area is large so that guests can arrive, read the text, and walk past it without blocking other users.
- Zoom in to drag objects in the Mapmaker. Fine tune the exact placement of an object in the Mapmaker by selecting Zoom In, zooming in several times, and using the Select tool to drag objects exactly where you want them. Just remember that chairs and doors should be in the center of tiles so that character movement aligns with them.
- Add an info kiosk that embeds the help center. Search for "kiosk" in the Object Picker, and make it an interactive object with an embedded website. Link to the help center home (https://support.gather.town/help) or to a specific article of your choice.
- Use high contrast colors. Most wayfinding objects have additional colors available, so choose a color that contrasts well against the background. This is helpful for users who experience different types of colorblindness or who have low vision.
- Don't rely on color alone for meaning. When you're using symbols or special objects to indicate specific behavior, make sure color alone does not signify meaning. For example, if you want to use different colors of rugs to indicate different types of areas, distinguish by pattern, as well.